SATEC and the TDSB are committed “to enable all students to reach high levels of achievement and to acquire the knowledge, skills, and values they need to become responsible members of a democratic society.” (TDSB Mission Statement, 1997). This responsibility extends to our students with exceptionalities, those who have additional social-emotional, physical, developmental, or learning requirements.
The SATEC & the TDSB, through its Special Education Department, is committed to active and meaningful collaboration with students, parent(s)/ guardian(s)/ caregiver(s)/ family, schools, and agencies to ensure that the learning needs of all students with exceptionalities are met in the most equitable and inclusionary environment possible.
Through credit-earning Learning Strategies courses (GLE) and Resource classes, students develop their literacy and numeracy skills, identify their individual learning styles and strengths and develop strategies for their specific learning needs. Furthermore, emphasis is placed on developing solid work habits, time management and organizational and study skills.
In addition, students have access to the Resource Room as well as the Language Lab, a tool to aid students in developing their literacy and organizational skills. With this support, special needs students are often able to significantly increase their academic achievements.
- Ministry of Education: Special Education Web Site – Ontario Ministry of Education Policies & Programs, The Individual Education Plan, The Transition Plan, etc…
- Learning Disabilities Assoication of Ontario provides a wide variety of information related to learning disabilities and ADHD and any related topics – from articles to websites to books and videos
- Profiles of University Graduates with Learning Disabilities. The Learning Disabilities Programme at York University includes Secrets for Success which profiles successful university graduates with learning disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario: Provides articles, resources, and links to other related sites.
- Misunderstood Minds – PBS: This site profiles a variety of learning problems and expert opinions. It is designed to give parents and teachers a better understanding of learning processes, insights into difficulties, and strategies for responding.
Offered Courses in Special Education
|Course Code||Course Description||Course Profile|
|GLE1O9||Grade 9 Learning Strategies (Open)|
|GLE2O9||Grade 10 Learning Strategies (Open)|
|GLE3O9||Grade 11 Learning Strategies (Open)|
|GLE4O9||Grade 12 Learning Strategies (Open)|