Smart but Scattered Teens: The “Executive Skills” Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential by Richard Guare, Peg Dawson, Colin Guare
Workshops for Parents/Guardians of Teens
Toronto Public Health offers free parenting workshops for parents and guardians of children and teens. Call Toronto Public Health at (416) 338-7600 or contact them at www.toronto.ca/health for workshop dates and times.
Connecting with Your Teen
This is a 2 hour interactive session for parents & caregivers of teenagers 13-18 years old.
The workshop covers the folding topics:
- Normal growth and developments that occur during teenage years
- Physical, emotional, behavioural, and social pressures teens may experience
- Facts and myths about drugs
- Ways to improve communication between parents/caregivers and teens
- What to do if you think your teen is under the influence of drugs
Links to Parenting Resources
White Ribbon Draw the Line – Strategies to teach children about boundaries, consent and respect in relating to others
Defusing Your Child’s Worst Behaviour – Article in the Globe and Mail Newspaper about Dr. Stuart Shanker’s insight on how to defuse difficult behaviour in children.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Adolescent Health – a variety of articles on how to talk to teens about a variety of topics.
Connected Parenting – a Toronto based organization run by Jennifer Kolari, M.S.W, R.S.W., offering advice and solutions for issues families deal with daily.
Self-Reg: How to Help Your Child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and Successfully Engage with Life by Dr. Stuart Shanker
Camps for Children and Teens
Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)
CLEO’s website Steps to Justice contains step-by-step information about legal problems. The information is reliable, practical and easy to understand.
Visit stepstojustice.ca to
- get clear information and next steps to help you seal with your legal problems
- find practical checklists, forms and self-help guides
- click on links to legal and community services to get more help.